Tuesday 27 November 2012

My favourite Christmas films

Writing about Fred Claus inspired me to write about my favourite Christmas films. There is nothing I like better than snuggling down to watch a Christmas film on the run up to the big day. Especially whilst wrapping presents whilst the tree lights are twinkling. In no particular order, here are my top five.

Home Alone



This was on last Sunday so I've already watched it for this year. Macaulay Culkin is left home alone when his family go on vacation for the holidays. 2 crooks attempt to burgle his home, hilarity ensues. He is so adorable in this film, the soundtrack is great, his house is gorgeous and there's a teary moment when he wakes up to find his family have made it home for Christmas.

ELF


I think Elf is most people's favourite Christmas film. I imagine it will on tv nearer to Christmas so make sure you watch it if you've never seen it. Will Ferrel is Buddy, an Elf in Santa's workshop who is actually a human. He causes all sorts of chaos when he travels to New York to visit his real father. Zooey Deschanel sings cute Christmas songs. It's a good 'un.

Holiday Inn


Now for an old fashioned Christmas film. I've never seen this on tv but the DVD is fairly cheap. Bing Crosby decides to set up a hotel that is only open during a national holiday (much like the idea for this blog) and has a tiff with Fred Rogers over a gal he's met. Bing sings White Christmas, Fred dances like a drunken maniac, it's genius.

A Muppet's Christmas Carol


Probably my favourite. Muppets AND Michael Caine. Based on A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens with a couple of songs chucked in for merriment. I continuously sing "One more sleep 'til Christmas' on Christmas Eve. Classic story, classic muppets.

Love Actually


Genuine burst into tears every second film. Lots of interconnecting stories set in London, during the run up to Christmas. Pure joy. Excellent cast, funny, sentimental. Everything you want in a Christmas story.

What are your favourite Christmas films? Anymore I can add to my list?

No comments:

Post a Comment